Friday, December 17, 2010

What I learned while writing a novel

This past fall, after years of kicking around mere fragments of ideas in my head, I sat down in front of an old Smith/Corona typewriter and hunted and pecked and miss-typed my way to two hundred pages of manuscript. The typewriter had been bought at the Glebe Garage sale (an immensely popular annual purging of basements and crawl-spaces in one of Ottawa's oldest neighbourhoods) for $10 dollars, and given to me as a gift.

As writers know, there are as many ways and methods to approach writing a novel as there are novelists. And if you're honest with yourself, it is a process that you don't necessarily prefect, as methods of expression can change with age, as one acquires new perspectives. In any case, I began my journey baring two rules in mind: (1) write every day, whether one paragraph, an entire chapter, story arc, character introduction; and (2) finish each day knowing where to begin the next. Let's be honest, these two principles are very basic (and I stole the second rule from Hemingway! Paris Review interview lovers may note his 1958 sit-down with George Plimpton).

I chose to focus on these rules for the simple reason that they seem easy to follow, even when writing each day seems like a serious challenge. Allowing myself to be satisfied with whatever I had written on a particular day seemed to take the pressure off of trying to perform some Kerouacian feat of marathon spontaneity. It also allowed me to completely envision the world I was trying to describe before I approached the typewriter, if only one place at a time, one character at at time.

As this project was my first attempt at composing a novel, I also learned not only how to manage a creative schedule, but I also learned to pay close attention to the stuff of novels: people, places, objects, time of day, sounds, noise, the way people walk, the way people talk, how they hold their coffee cups or pens, and probably a million other things. I have always been a social person, but writing this novel heightened my awareness as to how much personal interaction goes a long way in creating moulds of character.

For me this meant turning off the iPod, turning off the BlackBerry, and opening my senses to the things going on around me, the smells in the air, sitting on the bus and not drowning out the ambient noise with the damn rap music, et-cetera. Letting go of various digital distractions through the writing process was vital in capturing the essence of place, setting, character. These may not be the things that drive a novel, but they are the blood and muscle that layers the skeleton of plot.

In the end it is about simplicity. For myself (and I didn't write this to sound like a garden Buddha passing out fortune cookie wisdom), ignoring the complexities of the world around me and paying more attention to the "little things", allowed me to find places where my characters could exist, and allowed me to give them traits that were relatable to others.



No comments: